Watch the video here!
I was robbed. Two laptops, several USB sticks and a tripod were stolen from my Brussels office. The thieves evidently had possession of master keys, given that there was no sign of forced entry. No help came from the Parliament, which is of little surprise — the head of the security service owes his job less to his qualifications than to his connections with the President of the Parliament, David-Maria Sassoli. Or at least Sassoli liked his Facebook page.
After about six weeks of correspondence with other Members of Parliament, security service staff and the Brussels police, I ran out of patience. I sent an email to all Members of Parliament, warning them about what happened and sharing with them my sophisticated system of self-defence.
Now I will be reporting updates to Twitter using my new theft ticker.
- 11/05/2020 It is discovered that Nico's desk drawer had been broken open. This incident was immediately reported to the Parliament.
- 15/05/2020 MEP Thomas Waitz sends a mail to the Greens/EFA group reporting a theft in his office.
- 15/05/2020 Two newly purchased laptops, numerous USB sticks and a tripod are found missing from Nico's office.
- 15/05/2020 The theft is reported to the Directorate General for Security and Insurance (DG Safe).
- 18/05/2020 Nico's office is in regular contact with a DG Safe employee to discuss further steps. Meanwhile, he sends a warning to the members of the Green group.
- 19/05/2020 Nico writes a letter to the President of Parliament David-Maria Sassoli, Head of DG Safe Elio Carozza and Head of DG Communication Jaume Duch Guillot, asking them to take a stance and send a warning to other offices. About two hours later Nico receives an email from a different DG Safe employee. He says that the investigation is already underway and, in order not to let the thieves know, no warning would be issued at that time.
- 03/06/2020 With the help of the first DG Safe employee, the theft of both laptops is reported to the Brussels police. The Brussels police is not allowed to enter the Parliament's buildings, meaning no evidence can be collected.
- 18/06/2020 A meeting with the Brussels police and the staff member of DG Safe was supposed to take place. The appointment is cancelled on short notice, because the contact person at the Brussels police was injured over the weekend.
- 30/06/2020 After several MEP offices contacted Nico reporting more thefts, Nico goes public with the information and makes self-protective security posters available online for all MEPs.
- 16/07/2020 DG Safe sends an email to the Parliament for the first time acknowledging the thefts and recommending security measures.